Temporary Traffic Management basic course
The Temporary Traffic Management Basic Course (TTMBC) is a training program in the United Kingdom designed to teach participants the fundamental skills and knowledge needed to work safely in temporary traffic management. The course is primarily intended for those who have limited or no experience in temporary traffic management and serves as an entry point into the industry.
Although the exact content and structure of the TTMBC may vary depending on the training provider, some common elements are usually covered in the course:
- Introduction to temporary traffic management: This includes understanding the purpose and importance of traffic management, as well as the key principles and terminology used in the industry.
- Traffic management legislation and guidance: Participants learn about the relevant laws, regulations, and guidelines that govern temporary traffic management, such as the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD), the Traffic Management Act 2004, and the Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice.
- Roles and responsibilities: The course covers the various roles and responsibilities of personnel involved in temporary traffic management, including traffic safety control officers, planners, and supervisors.
- Traffic management equipment: Participants learn about the different types of equipment used in temporary traffic management, such as signs, cones, barriers, and lights, as well as their correct usage and placement.
- Risk assessment and method statements: The course teaches the basics of conducting risk assessments and creating method statements for temporary traffic management operations.
- Site safety and working practices: Participants learn about the importance of maintaining a safe working environment, including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the implementation of safe working practices.
- Practical exercises: The course often includes hands-on exercises to give participants the opportunity to practice setting up and removing temporary traffic management equipment under supervision.
Upon successful completion of the Temporary Traffic Management Basic Course, participants should have a foundational understanding of the principles and practices involved in temporary traffic management and be better prepared to work in the industry.